What are some good books for computer science?

IndraBC

IndraBC

Fat Balls
also any CS majors/graduates here? would love to talk

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11887
stackoverflow

• +1
Reactions: socialcel
  • JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: AlexBrown84, St.TikTokcel and marek937
Depends on what you want to learn. For beginners Python/JavaScript is a good route
For Java: Revel for Starting Out With Java: Control Structures through Objects
Python: Starting Out with Python by Tony Gaddis.
But before you want to build projects its best to learn psuedocode so Program Design With Pseudocode by Therold E. Bailey is also good.

you’re a CS graduate, no way bro!! Wanna add me on linkedin and grab a coffee sometime?
Sure bro
Check out my profile

• JFL
Reactions: socialcel
nothing matters more than coding interviews if you want a job, but if you want to be a baller ass developer most books wont help just go straight to tutorials and try and learn as you develop

• +1
Reactions: Swarthy Knight and lowiqNormie
Change your major right now unless you want to work at mcdonalds after you graduate

• +1
Reactions: Neptune299 and lowiqNormie
Depends on what you want to learn. For beginners Python/JavaScript is a good route
For Java: Revel for Starting Out With Java: Control Structures through Objects
Python: Starting Out with Python by Tony Gaddis.
But before you want to build projects its best to learn psuedocode so Program Design With Pseudocode by Therold E. Bailey is also good.
All of them are cope
Just chug coffee and start coding

• +1
Reactions: lowiqNormie and mogstars
All of them are cope
Just chug coffee and start coding
nothing matters more than coding interviews if you want a job, but if you want to be a baller ass developer most books wont help just go straight to tutorials and try and learn as you develop
what about theory?

what about theory?
no point in theory if your gonna get stuck in front end or back end, if your specializing it might matter

• +1
Reactions: IndraBC
no point in theory if your gonna get stuck in front end or back end, if your specializing it might matter
what specialization does it matter the most?

what specialization does it matter the most?
thinks like machine learning and cloud, way more important to know the theory than to it is to know application, easy to deploy then to understand why your infrastructure works, this is why architects are super experienced usually with 10 yoe

• +1
thinks like machine learning and cloud, way more important to know the theory than to it is to know application, easy to deploy then to understand why your infrastructure works, this is why architects are super experienced usually with 10 yoe
good to know. are u a CS major?

• +1
Reactions: gooner23
ye, i was for first 2 years but switched to it to take on a double internship
im a second year. ive done intro to c, intermediate c, discrete math. currently im taking intro to java and data structures and algorithms.

im a second year. ive done intro to c, intermediate c, discrete math. currently im taking intro to java and data structures and algorithms.
this year has been brutal for internships, but id just lie about your graduation date and start applying, but you gotta be super confident with leetcode for the OA, you can get a 100 on these tests and be in the top 1% in speed but you would still get rejected.

Some companies don't do leetcode and pay a lot but its usually only for specializations and the tests that are replaced are hard but easy to someone who specialized.

this year has been brutal for internships, but id just lie about your graduation date and start applying, but you gotta be super confident with leetcode for the OA, you can get a 100 on these tests and be in the top 1% in speed but you would still get rejected.

Some companies don't do leetcode and pay a lot but its usually only for specializations and the tests that are replaced are hard but easy to someone who specialized.
fuck. what do i do 😭

fuck. what do i do 😭
get lucky or straight up lie super hard, you can lie but when it comes to the interview don't lie about your experience cause the background check will just catch you if you said you worked at a company + the job title. Like you can't say you were a software engineer at mcdonalds when you were a cashier or some shit.

I guess your priorities are your projects be able to explain them if you cheat on them. It might take a 1000 applications to get your first internship.
And my biggest advice is realize that /hr > salary. You can work at amazon and make 220k out of college but your working 60+ hours in a toxic environment. Could work at a banking company and make 100k while working only 20 hours remotely in a chill team. If you want to make more you could just stack jobs but make sure you can do this legally don't wanna be working a 2 banking companies wather a banking company and then a health company or some shit

get lucky or straight up lie super hard, you can lie but when it comes to the interview don't lie about your experience cause the background check will just catch you if you said you worked at a company + the job title. Like you can't say you were a software engineer at mcdonalds when you were a cashier or some shit.

I guess your priorities are your projects be able to explain them if you cheat on them. It might take a 1000 applications to get your first internship.
And my biggest advice is realize that /hr > salary. You can work at amazon and make 220k out of college but your working 60+ hours in a toxic environment. Could work at a banking company and make 100k while working only 20 hours remotely in a chill team. If you want to make more you could just stack jobs but make sure you can do this legally don't wanna be working a 2 banking companies wather a banking company and then a health company or some shit
I'm debating between finance or tech as a career path. Which pays more? eg. IB/PE/HF/VC and SWE/Tech Sales. How good is the job market for tech people in finance, or finance people in tech?

I'm debating between finance or tech as a career path. Which pays more? eg. IB/PE/HF/VC and SWE/Tech Sales. How good is the job market for tech people in finance, or finance people in tech?
finance is a brutal job and you tend to push super absurd hours like 80 hours +. The worst jobs in tech is just a good job in the jobs you listed usually unless you become a quant. Tech is a bit murky rn and idk when its gonna let up probably in like 2-3 years.

finance is a brutal job and you tend to push super absurd hours like 80 hours +. The worst jobs in tech is just a good job in the jobs you listed usually unless you become a quant. Tech is a bit murky rn and idk when its gonna let up probably in like 2-3 years.
Yeah idk abt automation in finance and the job market for tech closing cause everyone and their dog is learning to code and applying.

Heard quant jobs are hard to break into, and rarely advertised.

Looking to maybe do a double major in SWE and finance, to some what future proof but even then idk.

What do you reckon is a good degree or pathway with a person interested in finance and tech?

Yeah idk abt automation in finance and the job market for tech closing cause everyone and their dog is learning to code and applying.

Heard quant jobs are hard to break into, and rarely advertised.

Looking to maybe do a double major in SWE and finance, to some what future proof but even then idk.

What do you reckon is a good degree or pathway with a person interested in finance and tech?
math would be good for both, but its only for general swe and quant roles. Quant roles stopped paying alot for new grads this year since layoffs they gave lower salaries compared to last years. Stats for machine learning and finance too

math would be good for both, but its only for general swe and quant roles. Quant roles stopped paying alot for new grads this year since layoffs they gave lower salaries compared to last years. Stats for machine learning and finance too
Yeah, how long do you think it would take for ai to automate most tasks in finance or tech?

Yeah, how long do you think it would take for ai to automate most tasks in finance or tech?
idk it may never but if i had to guess something major happens before 2029 where we reduce headcount for automation

idk it may never but if i had to guess something major happens before 2029 where we reduce headcount for automation
Yeah just a bit weary on what career path rn because of automation and all the releases in tech.

If you don't mind me asking, what job do you work and whats ur pay and hours like?

Yeah just a bit weary on what career path rn because of automation and all the releases in tech.

If you don't mind me asking, what job do you work and whats ur pay and hours like?
im still a in college i just do internships in (cloud, ml) amazon paid like 9k + 2.7k in housing a month but i don't really wanna say other internships but i did like 4 by my junior year. Most internships were like 10-20 hrs a week amazon pushed 50 and was in person. I hope to graduate with 2 jobs and still work under 40 hours

im still a in college i just do internships in (cloud, ml) amazon paid like 9k + 2.7k in housing a month but i don't really wanna say other internships but i did like 4 by my junior year. Most internships were like 10-20 hrs a week amazon pushed 50 and was in person. I hope to graduate with 2 jobs and still work under 40 hours
What jobs are you planning on doing to work 40 hrs a week, and are you doing remote work with those or in person?

What jobs are you planning on doing to work 40 hrs a week, and are you doing remote work with those or in person?
just mid tier (Education, health, banking, media, consumer) companies that pay like 100k and are remote, its a bit hard compared to 2021 but i know they exist. I avoid in person at all costs unless you want the social aspects of those jobs but your just gonna be surrounded by old indian people and not women unless your getting paid 60k.

• JFL
Reactions: benchlordthethird
just mid tier (Education, health, banking, media, consumer) companies that pay like 100k and are remote, its a bit hard compared to 2021 but i know they exist. I avoid in person at all costs unless you want the social aspects of those jobs but your just gonna be surrounded by old indian people and not women unless your getting paid 60k.
All tech side jobs in those companies? thats crazy then 2 jobs, raking 200k before tax all remote, fair play bro

never read a single book during my degree
doing > reading

• +1
never read a single book during my degree
doing > reading
Yeah. What subjects as a CS student should I heavily prioritize? I’ve taken intro/intermediate C before and discrete math. I’m currently taking intro to Java and data structures&algorithms

Thanks for this advice. I can't stand reading books as an adhdcel

Yeah. What subjects as a CS student should I heavily prioritize? I’ve taken intro/intermediate C before and discrete math. I’m currently taking intro to Java and data structures&algorithms
data structures and algorithms is prolly the most important one you'll take, try and master that if u wanna go for FAANG
besides that any class where u can work in a group and build a big app will teach u the most about the real world
everything else is just theory which benefitted me 0

data structures and algorithms is prolly the most important one you'll take, try and master that if u wanna go for FAANG
besides that any class where u can work in a group and build a big app will teach u the most about the real world
everything else is just theory which benefitted me 0
agreed. DSA is important, so is OS tbh i think thats underrated, ill def take that in the future.

for now im gonna spam java. As for C, idk

ye i mean theres software engineers for every company
yeah found out my uni does swe and cs as a degree, which one is better ?

• +1
Reactions: gooner23
Do you want to work rest of your life with subhumans? There’s no bitches in tech, except few gook and curry ones