My Bimax Log

HandsomeTwink420

HandsomeTwink420

Logging my bimax experience
Had my initial consultation with Coceancig recently (he was wonderful btw).

Functional problems: Sleep apnoea / snoring, chronic nasal breathing, poor sleep, mild jaw joint problems

Aesthetic problems: Recessed maxilla and mandible, sunken cheekbones, hemifacial microsomia pruzansky type 1 (mild facial assymtery)

I will log my experience as I go through the process, as well as any autistically deep research I do on facial asymmetry, for the interest of others.

• +1
Reactions: tasmanian devil, FutureSlayer, 5'7 zoomer and 5 others
Keep me updated, I'm curious and will help you where I can.

• +1
Reactions: king_of_recession and HandsomeTwink420
HandsomeTwink420

How expensive is coceancig nowadays? If you have the info available

Unless Aussie it's a pipedream.
I'm not aussie you know that

Just asking out of curiosity obv

And tbh you should've said "unless rich it's a pipedream (for non-aussies)", it's not like he refuses to treat non-natives lol

Last edited:
Either DO NOT ask for a bigger advancement or actively ask for him to be a bit more conservative
Yep.

Given the asymmetric smallness of my mandible, I think he'll have to be conservative with the advancement anyway. Will probably ask him to back off from the "Coceancig" line a bit.

Main concern with the aesthetics of the procedure atm is using trusting him to use bone mineral to sculpt the cheekbone implants as opposed to custom ones designed in advanced.

Given that my cheekbones are already sunken, especially closer to the nose, I feel like pre-empting the right shape and depth manually using bone mineral would be tough.

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois
Yep.

Given the asymmetric smallness of my mandible, I think he'll have to be conservative with the advancement anyway. Will probably ask him to back off from the "Coceancig" line a bit.

Main concern with the aesthetics of the procedure atm is using trusting him to use bone mineral to sculpt the cheekbone implants as opposed to custom ones designed in advanced.

Given that my cheekbones are already sunken, especially closer to the nose, I feel like pre-empting the right shape and depth manually using bone mineral would be tough.
Implants could be a nice touch around your infraorbital rims and cheekbones to balance the face after bimax.

I'm literally right the the beginning of the process, so, I have no clue about the cost of the procedure itself.

I am Aussie with existing, comprehensive, private health issuance, and I do actually have the sleep apnoea problem, so, I'm reasonably confident insurance can pay a chunk.

Edit: Also, although I'm not "rich", without giving away too much info atm, I'm quite confident I can pay for what I'll need to.

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois and DelonLover1999
Implants could be a nice touch around your infraorbital rims and cheekbones to balance the face after bimax.
Yep.

The "outer" portion of my cheekbones look ok as they are currently (not saying that they won't require modification after advancement), but, the infra-orbital rims are god awful as they are, so, after advancement they'll be even worse.

I'm not entirely convinced he will be able to fix this with manual bone mineral.

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois
coceancig the type of mfer to post this kind of video on his yt channel, mirin the inhib tbh

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 43403, twilight and HarrierDuBois
coceancig the type of mfer to post this kind of video on his yt channel, mirin the inhib tbh

• JFL
Reactions: twilight and DelonLover1999
Notice how his unideal neurocranium size is what allowed him to crack the field of Jaw Surgery wide open like he did

Sometimes you gotta sacrifice aesthetics for brainpower tbh
Sometimes his goals are beyond our understanding. Accidental joopill by Mr CC.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 32196, king_of_recession, Deleted member 4397 and 4 others
caged so hard
Yeah it's pretty brutal, imagine the cortisol spike and heatwave of sweat you'd feel on your forehead and back seeing your predicted morph be some ancient goblin thief from LoTR lookinass.

• JFL
Reactions: DelonLover1999
Notice how his unideal neurocranium size is what allowed him to crack the field of Jaw Surgery wide open like he did

Sometimes you gotta sacrifice aesthetics for brainpower tbh
He had 8 teeth removed and had his maxilla intentionally recessed by orthodontic work as a teen.

It's in the intro of his book if you're curious:

• +1
Reactions: DelonLover1999 and HarrierDuBois
He had 8 teeth removed and had his maxilla intentionally recessed by orthodontic work as a teen.

I really like his voice tbh. His IMDO vid is pure ASMR.

• +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2, DelonLover1999 and HandsomeTwink420
Yea HA paste is an absolute meme. Don't do it
Could you elaborate?

He claimed that he was skilled enough to replicate the results that a custom made implant would

holy shit, 8?

Mirin his revenge arc

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois and HandsomeTwink420
holy shit, 8?

Mirin his revenge arc
Yeah exactly.

I must re-iterate, he was extremely caring during the consultation and in subsequent contact we've had.

He actually apologised to me on behalf of the camouflage orthodontics I had as a teenager, said he considered it his responsibility for not persuading orthodontists to his philosophy, saw him start to tear up a bit as he said this.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: zeek, sozz, HarrierDuBois and 1 other person
Even if he sculps it perfectly (unlikely since nothing can match virtual 3d design) there's unpredictable resorption of the material
It wasn't made for anything but covering osteotomy gaps
Ok, I suppose I could get custom implants afterwards even with the bone mineral?

They'd be more expensive.

He actually apologised to me on behalf of the camouflage orthodontics I had as a teenager, said he considered it his responsibility for not persuading orthodontists to his philosophy, saw him start to tear up a bit as he said this.
I also got assraped by camo ortho so I know the struggle.

• +1
Reactions: HandsomeTwink420
Avg result of Dr.Sunil Richardson
If I heard my surgeon say the procedure he promised to provide didn't go well because it was "conceptually difficult" I would've killed him on the spot. :feelskek: :feelskek: :feelskek:

• JFL
Reactions: king_of_recession
Here's an X-ray I had taken with my head positioned so that the imaginary line running through both of my pupils was parallel with the ground. Upon examining the image, it's apparent that my mandible is not symmetrical.

If you were to see an image of my face, you'd notice that right side of my jaw and the rest of my face appear to be normal. However, the entire left side of my face seems to be compressed, similar to the attached illustration of a girl. There is a noticeable inwards tilting of my left eye and left side of my lip.

Note: Although the left side of my jaw looks "thicker" in the X-ray, I think this is just because OPG scans transform three-dimensional shapes into a two-dimensional plane. I presume the "thickness" is actually due to greater depth. The OPG scan's flattening effect seems to give it a wider appearance, even though in real life, basically the entire left side of my lower face is smaller in all dimensions.

This study indicates that bimax, in addition to addressing mandible recession and asymmetry, may also ameliorate the tilting of the eye and lip post-surgery.

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • asymmetry.PNG
    asymmetry.PNG
    495.7 KB · Views: 0
  • effects_of_bimax_on_eye_lip_canting.png
    effects_of_bimax_on_eye_lip_canting.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm not aussie you know that

Just asking out of curiosity obv

And tbh you should've said "unless rich it's a pipedream (for non-aussies)", it's not like he refuses to treat non-natives lol
6 Figures Probably

imagine not letting this man turn your jaws into a jigsaw puzzle

• Love it
Do you have a diagnosis for sleep apnea? Did you go to sleep laboratory?
I did a sleep study when I was a kid and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. The doctors said I should have my tonsils and adenoids removed, but, my parents were against it. I snored all throughout my childhood up til now.

Given the lack of proper forward growth through adolescence, I suspect the problem has only gotten worse.

I haven't had a sleep study recently, but, I think I have sleep apnea.

Despite trying to optimise everything I can to get a good sleep (low temperature room, consistency of schedule, breathe right nasal strips, avoiding screens, taking hot showers before bed, chamomile tea, collagen power etc.) and sleeping for like 9 hours, my energy crashes everyday at like 1pm. Once a week or so, I'll wake up with a completely dry mouth and it will feel like it's already 1pm.

Attachments

• pepe cpap.png
    pepe cpap.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Mr Test
Mould of my top row of teeth pre-braces

Had palatal expander, braces with elastics to retract the top row, and all 4 wisdom teeth removed

Pre braces teeth

He quoted me like 35k for Bimax but all the fees and shit bring it up to $60K+. Pretty ridiculous tbh

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: zeek, HandsomeTwink420 and DelonLover1999
He quoted me like 35k for Bimax but all the fees and shit bring it up to $60K+. Pretty ridiculous tbh
Are you Aussie?

If so, how much did insurance cover?

? Does bimax help cheekbones? don't they do a standard lefort 1 cut?

don't they do a standard lefort 1 cut?
This is the kind of custom bimax I intend to get based on my facial asymmetry:

I'm not super familiar with the Le Fort classifications, but, yeah, there's a lefort 1 type cut through the top of the maxilla (with a split down the middle as well depending on the design of your bimax).

Does bimax help cheekbones?

No.

If anything, it will make the cheekbones appear *more* sunken relative to the jaws, since the jaws will be moved forward and more prominent.

To compensate for this, Coceancig adds some kind of bone mineral over your cheekbones as a kind of natural cheekbone implant.

Perhaps the widening of the maxilla may make the zygo region of the cheekbones a little more prominent? but in general, no, you have to compensate for the bimax with some kind of implant.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: sportsmogger
Do you have a diagnosis for sleep apnea? Did you go to sleep laboratory?

SLEEP STUDY
  • Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) = 5.3 / hr (mild sleep apnea)
  • Sleep Efficiency = 77.7% (takes long to fall asleep, optimal is 85%-90%)
  • Total Arousal Index = 17.9/hr (quite high, frequent disturbances)
  • REM sleep 13.6% of total sleep time (optimal 20-25%)
  • Longest apnea = 21 seconds (no breathing)
  • Longest hypopnea = 58 seconds 😱 (constricted breathing)

Doctor said he was surprised at how horrendous my snoring was (notice the "MIC" measurement reaching 100dbs) given my young age (early 20's) and not being fat (BMI = 24.1kg/m^2).

Will be seeing an ENT next to get his opinion on my sinuses and any obvious throat obstructions (this particular ENT is friends with Mike Mew, so, isn't completely retarded with regards to knowledge of poor facial development).

P.S. Have been lifting weights for about 3 years so decent muscle mass bumping up BMI a bit, I think I'm around 15-20% body fat

Attachments

• Sleep Study Data.png
    Sleep Study Data.png
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • sleep data 2.png
    sleep data 2.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2 and Mr Test
Either DO NOT ask for a bigger advancement or actively ask for him to be a bit more conservative

Changed my mind on this. I don't think the advancement he does is excessive.

He advances more than other Bimax surgeons because he uses custom titanium plates which are intentionally design to withstand the forces of bimax, as opposed to other surgeons who typically use standardised plates. The standardised plates are designed for holding together the jaw in the case of someones jaw fracturing.

Other surgeons back off from optimal advancement because they know the plates they're using can't support it and want to cover their own asses.

Furthermore, the so-called "dogmaxxing" or "monkey face" concern is mostly a function of tight-ass patients not opting for compensatory cheekbone implants.

I've yet to actually see a good critique of Coceancig on this forum, it's mostly "he advances too far" or "omg da price too high".

How is it going with him? I consulted with him and went through the design process. It was a nice plan to fix the asymmetry, but I think it was too much advancement. Probably will go with Pagnoni, and get implants at the same time

• +1
Reactions: zeek
Are you Aussie?

If so, how much did insurance cover?
Sry for late ass reply. No, I'm American which is why it was so pricey. I believe he's quite affordable if you're Aussie since he takes insurance.

• +1
Sry for late ass reply. No, I'm American which is why it was so pricey. I believe he's quite affordable if you're Aussie since he takes insurance.
he still charges a boat load of fees on top of insurance (stupid system) if you're aussie but it's like half

• +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2
he still charges a boat load of fees on top of insurance (stupid system) if you're aussie but it's like half
Yeah, that sounds about right