Doctor told me lifting is stunting my growth, what are your thoughts on his reasoning?

MyDreamIsToBe183CM

MyDreamIsToBe183CM

Iron
When I was 13 I started working out 3 around three days a week, making sure to have proper form and a balanced diet. However, from that point on, I only grew an inch in one year. I visited the doctor when I was around 14 years old, and he told me that lifting slowed down my growth. The reasoning he gave me was that when you workout and get muscles, the muscles become too tight while your bones are still growing, which can hinder growth.

I researched about it myself and found things more detail. In short, when you workout, your muscles can get stiff or tight, or you get whats called a "taut band." This tightness or stiffness puts constant pressure on your bones, stunting it.

I heard if you do certain types of stretches you can limit this effect, but why risk it?

Why not just stretch

Height is determined bz how much cartilage your growth plates produce, which is determined by your igf-1 levels and this isn’t effected by lifting and bigger muscles

After 13 maybe you just happened to stop growing?
Correlation does not mean causation

After 13 maybe you just happened to stop growing?
Correlation does not mean causation
nope i continuted growing. ofc this is all just anecdotal evidence, and it is common for teens growth to slow down then speed up again, but this is from my persoanl experience and doctors advice, and why take the risk

nope i continuted growing. ofc this is all just anecdotal evidence, and it is common for teens growth to slow down then speed up again, but this is from my persoanl experience and doctors advice, and why take the risk
"risk"
A lot of doctors dont know what they are doing
Just hit the gym worse being skinny than losing half a cm

• +1
Reactions: zura
"risk"
A lot of doctors dont know what they are doing
Just hit the gym worse being skinny than losing half a cm
you wont lose half a cm. that logic is horrible. you can always hit the gym but you can never grow again

you wont lose half a cm. that logic is horrible. you can always hit the gym but you can never grow again
Youre over-paranoid about what bs doctors told you
It has been proven countless times there is no correlation

Youre over-paranoid about what bs doctors told you
It has been proven countless times there is no correlation
i mean dude, i dont fully believe that lifting stunts growth, but there is no conclusive data that it doesnt stunt growth 100 percent. if 30 percent out of 70 percent doctors say lifting stunts growth, thats too much of a risk to start lifting at a young age, when you can do it any time

i mean dude, i dont fully believe that lifting stunts growth, but there is no conclusive data that it doesnt stunt growth 100 percent. if 30 percent out of 70 percent doctors say lifting stunts growth, thats too much of a risk to start lifting at a young age, when you can do it any time
Think for a second
If it really did stunt growth wouldnt there be more anecdotal evidence? wouldnt you have more cases of people not growing?
My "doctor" also said that protein makes the heart muscle lose its elasticity, should i blindly believe him?

Ok well look into the research yourself then, even if it does stunt its just gonna be half a cm, and that extra few years of head start on weightlifting will help your physique a lot during your prime.

Doctors don't undergo any training regarding height, they basically know as much as your average joe.

My doctor said that taking Creatine as a teenager doesn't do anything good or bad, you just piss it out JFL

• +1
Reactions: vzaat
Ok well look into the research yourself then, even if it does stunt its just gonna be half a cm, and that extra few years of head start on weightlifting will help your physique a lot during your prime.

Doctors don't undergo any training regarding height, they basically know as much as your average joe.

My doctor said that taking Creatine as a teenager doesn't do anything good or bad, you just piss it out JFL
i went to a doctor that specializes in bone growth for teenagers, i think they are called endocrinologist?

i went to a doctor that specializes in bone growth for teenagers, i think they are called endocrinologist?
fym bone growth for teenagers, endocrinologist means someone who knows about the hormonal system