Are security jobs worth it?

optimisticzoomer

optimisticzoomer

The only way is up
I've asked before but I need to make a decision on whether to have an interview (I get nervous about these things anyway)

Job is £38k for 4x12 hour shifts, or £35k for 5x9 hour shifts. 12 hour shifts change from 6am-6pm and 6pm-6am. 9 hour shifts are during day but change from starting at 6am to starting 11am.

Good salary for straight out of uni.

Anyway, security jobs sound easy af, and pay is better than what I would get elsewhere as my first job, but you are working more hours even if it's just sitting around, and the changing shift times is likely to be a problem

• So Sad
Reactions: grief
I mean they pay u just to sit around basically

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Ape101, arab_chink and grief
I mean they pay u just to sit around basically
Yeah but is it worth it when you are working night shifts and changing shifts? A 9-5 security job would be a dream, but most, including this one, are changing shifts

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: grief and wackedchives
ur telling me I can get paid by sitting waiting for robbers while lurking .org?

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: HTN_Mentalcel, ConfusedBolivian, silencio and 3 others
Yeah but is it worth it when you are working night shifts and changing shifts? A 9-5 security job would be a dream, but most, including this one, are changing shifts
it's worth it if u can't find any better jobs at the moment, + if changing shifts rlly bothers you maybe it's not for u

• So Sad
Reactions: grief
why’d you go into uni if you were just gonna work a basic job like that

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: UrGirlsMcm, Costcosuperstore and grief
u went to uni to work security?
why’d you go into uni if you were just gonna work a basic job like that
I didn't know what else to do and that's just what most people do unless you have a career in mind at 18 that doesn't require uni
Also most graduates will earn 25-30k in UK for first job, so this pays more

• Woah
Reactions: User28823
I didn't know what else to do and that's just what most people do unless you have a career in mind at 18 that doesn't require uni
Also most graduates will earn 25-30k in UK for first job, so this pays more
what’d you major in

what’d you major in
Marine bio, can go into a few bio fields but jobs are too competitive + pay is low. Wouldn't mind low-ish pay if didn't have to get on my knees and work shitty minimum wage jobs and experience first

Plus any science related jobs basically require a masters if you don't have years of experience first, which is impossible to get

Plus I'm lazy and have no work ethic so that's why I looked at security, but it would be challenging to have to wake up before 5am, and then have changing shift times depending on day

wats £

• WTF
  • +1
Reactions: midlatinocel and optimisticzoomer
Marine bio, can go into a few bio fields but jobs are too competitive + pay is low. Wouldn't mind low-ish pay if didn't have to get on my knees and work shitty minimum wage jobs and experience first

Plus any science related jobs basically require a masters if you don't have years of experience first, which is impossible to get

Plus I'm lazy and have no work ethic so that's why I looked at security, but it would be challenging to have to wake up before 5am, and then have changing shift times depending on day
did you network or get any internships ?

• +1
Reactions: optimisticzoomer
no and yes, you can get laid easily which is the only pro.

the cons is everything else, hours are irregular, you deal with dipshits everyday, long hours, shit pay, you still make good money but that's due to the sheer amount of hours. all my colleagues had high blood pressure and cholesterol problems.

• Woah
I heard sone user here works at one and he said its the best thing

• +1
Worked one for 4 months. 2x8 hours on weekends and 3-4 days 7 hours during week days. Kinda boring, but also not hard physical job that will cause back problems. It was small shop and i walked a lot all the time, cuz coulnd't watch cameras, but I was on my phone a lot tho when there were less customers inside. One day decided to never go to this place again, cuz realized its not so nice job and caused little time when school started (also remember once i asked boss for one day off because my feet hurt but she said no, so i just sent her sms that i wont come today and i want to quit lol).

Worth it for some period of time, especially if you sit around and do little as me. But won't improve your career and work experience a lot after some time.

• +1
Reactions: optimisticzoomer and silencio
I worked as security and wanted to rope. You cant fully kick back and chill out like at home because you have to look "presentable".
The job also has one of the highest obesity rates since you do fuck all

• Woah
Boring but 38k for 4 days work ain't bad

Damn 38k for basically doing nothing???

I've asked before but I need to make a decision on whether to have an interview (I get nervous about these things anyway)

Job is £38k for 4x12 hour shifts, or £35k for 5x9 hour shifts. 12 hour shifts change from 6am-6pm and 6pm-6am. 9 hour shifts are during day but change from starting at 6am to starting 11am.

Good salary for straight out of uni.

Anyway, security jobs sound easy af, and pay is better than what I would get elsewhere as my first job, but you are working more hours even if it's just sitting around, and the changing shift times is likely to be a problem
which sia licences u have, im planning on doing cctv but i hear that many places require multiple

go to a white area you can just ldar

• Woah