How is my planned every other day PPL split for a bulk? Push, Pull, quads, hamstrings & calves every 4 days

alien

alien

Kraken
I don't want to have to be in the gym 6 times a week. I'd have to burn 71% more gas and it takes up more of my time overall. Even at the same volume. I'd rather condense the same volume into less days. I've been doing a full body split every other day for a year. But I'm still in the DYEL bro tier despite gaining 20.2 lbs in 9.5 months. I don't think its efficient to work every single muscle group every 2 days. I don't think my muscles get enough time to recover in those 2 days. It makes more sense to rest each muscle group 3-4 days instead.

Stats
Height: 167cm (5'6")
Weight: 66.5kg (146.6 lbs)
Weight at start of bulk (September 29 2022): 57.33kg (126.4 lbs)

I used ChatGPT to create a 6-day a week PPL split. And from there I condensed the 6-day weekly split into 4 days across 8 by taking leg day and breaking it up into a quad half-day and a hamstring/calves half-day. And then grouping the quad half with push and the hamstring/calves half with pull (deadlifts are pull and romanian deadlifts are hamstrings so that's a natural fit I'd think).

Day 1: Push (Chest, Shoulders and Triceps) and Quads

1. Leg Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps: Quads
2. Tricep Pushdowns: 3 sets of 12-15 reps: Triceps
3. Barbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps: Chest
4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps: Shoulders
5. Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 12-15 reps: Quads
6. Tricep Dips: 3 sets of 10-12 reps: Triceps
7. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps: Chest
8. Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 12-15 reps: Shoulders
9. Dumbbell Front Squats: 4 sets of 8-10 reps: Quads

Day 2 Rest

Day 3: Pull (Back and Biceps), Hamstrings and Calves

1. Deadlifts: 4 sets of 6-8 reps Back
2. Romanian Deadlifts: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hamstrings
3. Dumbbell Bicep Curls: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Biceps
4. Lat Pulldowns: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Back
5. Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 10-12 reps Calves
6. Leg Curls: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Hamstrings
7. Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8-10 reps Back
8. Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Biceps
9. Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Back

Day 4 Rest

Day 5: Push (Chest, Shoulders and Triceps) and Quads

1. Leg Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Quads
2. Tricep Rope Pushdowns: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Triceps
3. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Chest
4. Cable Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Shoulders
5. Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Quads
6. Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Triceps
7. Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Chest
8. Barbell Overhead Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps Shoulders
9. Dumbbell Front Squats: 4 sets of 8-10 reps Quads

Day 6 Rest

Day 7: Pull (Back and Biceps), Hamstrings and Calves

1. T-Bar Rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Back
2. Leg Curls: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Hamstrings
3. Preacher Curls: 3 sets of 12-15 reps Biceps
4. Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps Back
5. Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets of 10-12 reps Calves
6. Romanian Deadlifts: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Hamstrings
7. Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8-10 reps Back
8. Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Biceps
9. Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps Back

Day 8 Rest

The exercises are listed in the order that I'm going to do them in each session. Let me know if I should change up the order. Or change up the exercises. Or if I should abandon the idea of a PPL split every other day entirely and do another PPL split or another split entirely.

ChatGPT called for barbell squats but I replaced them with dumbbell front squats because I almost got seriously injured at the squat rack 6 weeks ago. I actually blacked out with no spotter (as I'm an autistic gymcel) doing 220 without warm-up sets. I was too much of a newb to know that you need to do warm-up sets. And I find that with the barbell my form suffers and I don't feel it as much in my quads as I do with dumbbell and bodyweight squats. So what's the fucking point of doing barbell squats then other than breaking records?

I tried to space out the chest, shoulders, triceps, quads, back, biceps, hamstrings and calves exercises as much as possible. I space out chest, shoulders, triceps and quads every 4 exercises, back every 2-3 exercises, hamstrings every 4 exercises, biceps every 5 exercises and do one calf exercise every 4 days. Don't think I need to train calves more than that.

Also should I even bother training core? I was on the ab machine every other day for like a year practically. I rep out the machine at 200 lbs. And I still have some lower abdominal fat so what's the point in even training abs if I'm not going to cut yet? When the compound exercises are hitting core anyways. And there's no point in me cutting yet if I'm going to look scrawny. Even when I cut down to 126.4 lbs from 168.2 lbs (sedentary fat rotter), I still had some lower abdominal fat. lmfao. Makes zero sense to cut down to skinny when you're just fat and have no muscle. Thanks.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Lmao
More more
I ended up abandoning the 3.5x a week PPL split idea and just bought a 4 day upper/lower from a fitness YouTuber for $35 US. There was way, way too much volume packed in each day on the 3.5x a week PPL I made with the assistance of ChatGPT.

I ended up abandoning the 3.5x a week PPL split idea and just bought a 4 day upper/lower from a fitness YouTuber for $35 US. There was way, way too much volume packed in each day on the 3.5x a week PPL I made with the assistance of ChatGPT.
Thats better. How much muscle did you gain